Poisonous House Plants

Despite all the benefits of houseplants, there is a fatal drawback of them i.e. they can be poisonous. Especially if you have little kids or pets at your place, you should either avoid having these plants or keep them out of the range of children and pets. If highly toxic plants are ingested, they can cause serious illness and death also. If a family member or pet puts any of these poisonous plants in their mouth, call help immediately.

Here is a list of toxic plants, most of these are commonly kept in houses, indoors or outdoors.

  • Aloe Vera(only a few varieties of Aloe Vera can be poisonous, otherwise its gel has numerous health benefits. The poisonous part is basically the yellow juice which is next to the rubbery outer portion of the leaf.)
  • English Ivy(contains didehydrofalcarinol, falcarinol and hederasaponins which can cause vomiting, convulsions, paralysis and possibly coma in ingested.)
  • Azalea
  • Elephant Ear(Caladium)
  • Peace Lily
  • Amaryllis
  • Sago Palm(highly toxic to both pets and humans. A poisonous chemical known as cycasin can cause permanent liver damage and can cause neurological damage if more amount of it is absorbed by the body. Seeds of this plant are extremely poisonous and can cause coma and death if ingested.)
  • Dumb Cane(all parts of this plants are poisonous and they contain Calcium oxalate component which can cause immediate swelling, burning and pain in mouth and throat. Difficulty in swallowing also occurs.)
  • Anthurium
  • Philodendron(ingestion of any part of philodendron plants can cause difficulty in swallowing, burning, itching and vomiting because it contains calcium oxalates.)
  • Chinese Evergreen(Toxic due to presence of Calcium Oxalates. You must have read about the damages this chemical can cause.)
  • Crown of Throwns
  • Alocasia
  • Hydrangea
  • Pothos(Contains Calcium Oxalate.)
  • Mistletoe
  • Bird of Paradise(Their seeds are poisonous. If ingested can cause nausea, diarrhea, drowsiness and vomiting.)